“Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift.”
As of the time of this writing, there are 9 days, 16 hours, 10 minutes and a descending number of seconds remaining before Christmas. Hopefully you are unlike me and have all of your gifts purchased and you’re ready for Christmas. If not, I truly feel your pain. In spite of the fact that Christmas comes on the same date every year, I find myself under self-induced pressure to get my holiday shopping completed.
This brings me to your gift. No, I don’t have an official gift to give to you, but I want to use this opportunity to remind you of the great gift you must give yourself. This gift is the understanding of what you hold in your possession.
Without getting too spiritual or too far off the beaten path, let me simply share this thought that will lead to my challenge to you as well as me. In the Judeo-Christian tradition, when God created man, He breathed into man causing him to come to life. In much the same way, it is my sincere belief that you and I contain the very breath of God within us. Our souls are connected to a Higher Purpose, a Higher Identity. We contain within ourselves the very essence of God Almighty.
With that premise in mind, what are you doing today that provides evidence of the Creator in your life? What are you doing today that represents all of the purpose and meaning of God in your existence?
If you embrace the idea that you contain the breath of God within you, then you must also embrace the simple fact that you have been designed to be so much greater than the sum of what and who you are at this very moment. You are designed to elevate yourself to a greater level than you currently reside at.
So here is my challenge – to both you and me…
- Live Each Day with Purpose — Time is one of the elements we are a steward of and yet it is also one of the key things we abuse and take so lightly. Each day is a day we get but never get back. Every minute of today is full of purpose and the ability to make the most of it resides in our hands. Commit to living today to the maximum. Commit to making the most of every minute, every second of the day.
- Commit to Excellence — The seeds of greatness reside within you and me, so it is imperative that we commit to excellence in every way possible. Anything less than excellence falls far short of what you and I were designed for.
- Commit to Investing into the Lives of Others — In my profession, I am blessed with the unique opportunity to daily invest into those I’ve hired. My intent is to challenge each and every one of them to become greater than they were before me. My desire is that they will be much greater, more whole as a result of my investment into each and every one of them.
- Decide — Each day you fail to make decisions that will move you forward is a day someone else decides for you. When we fail to make decisions, we leave our fate, our future, in the hands of others. This is a misguided approach and indeed very dangerous. Decide, commit, move forward.
- Dream – Goals are simply dreams on paper. What are your dreams? What do you dream of doing? Of becoming? Of experiencing? Live your dreams!
Today is your gift. Your life is your gift. What you do with your gift is up to you, but I hope and I pray that you will embrace your gift and enjoy it fully.