It’s not a rhetorical point or even a question but rather a statement of fact. I am, in fact, a bit of a pain in the ass. Why? It’s simple. I awoke recently and realized that I am far more than the sum of my parts and that I’ve been giving the proverbial lip service to too many people, too many things. It is time to change!
Since then, my daily life is transforming. No, not in a sense that is earth shattering, but in some ways that are subtle and others in which I’m frankly a pain in the ass. Which brings me to my point? (Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus and here’s his gift!)
Every morning at 4am I wake up. “For God’s sake, why?”, you ask. Because I have expectations of my life and I’m damn well going to get them accomplished.
- I write my goals down — every single day
- I write out my daily action play — every single day
- I write a chapter in my next book — no, there hasn’t been another one yet, but this sounds better! 🙂
- I review my Power Schedule
…and I get to work. I don’t have time in my Power Schedule to waste time. I don’t have patience for those who would willingly or witlessly (unwittingly sounds too nice) waste mine.
So here are some suggestions if you want to work with me:
- My duty is to my customer. This includes even you, even though you’re not my customer…yet. That being said, I will follow up. I will be fanatical. I will be inspired, persistent and consistent about you. The problems you have in your business ARE my concern. I have the solution to virtually every business problem (no lie), so it is my ethical duty to do everything I can to help you and your business. I won’t apologize. My only regret is when you won’t let me do what I know I (and my team) can do for you.
- Don’t be late. Vince Lombardi has taught us that if you’re not fifteen minutes early, you’re late. So don’t be late.
- Trivial gossip isn’t allowed. I really don’t want the drama and, frankly, I just don’t care that much.
- Let’s get busy! I’m here to make the world a much better place and leave a legacy where I’ll be the focus of positive conversation for decades to come. I don’t have a real big ego, but, yes, an ego nonetheless.
- Be committed or get out! I’m tired of individuals who give the proverbial New York nod but don’t really mean it. I’m sick of people who “mail it in,” waiting for someone else to make their career change for them. Get in, get out, or just get out of my way.
- Be all in! Similar to the last point, but also along the lines of the old football adage: Leave it all on the field. Your half-ass approach to work, to business, to your life is stupid. If you’re not all in — if you’re not going to give it 100% or more every single day — why are you here?
By now you understand why I’m a pain in the ass. It may be a bit extreme, but the point is simple: As I near the 50 year mark in my life, I intend to leave an indelible mark on this universe. Like Steve Jobs, I intend to “ping the universe” and revel in her glory as she pings back.
If you’re prepared to be (or maybe you already are) a pain in the ass as well, I’d love to hear from you.
Buckle up! The world’s in for quite a ride!